Setting Science Based Targets - Lunch 'n' Learn
Friday, 21 January 2022, 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
What is the session about?
There is a climate emergency – the IPCC and Committee on Climate Change state that we need to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2050 and the built environment is a significant contributor to the situation. Around 40% of all greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions come from the construction and operation of buildings, infrastructure and assets.
Science Based Targets (SBT’s) show companies how much and how quickly they need to reduce their GHG emissions to prevent the worst effects of climate change. More than 2,000 businesses are working with the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) to reduce their emissions in line with climate science.
This session, with Olwen Smith from the Science Based Targets initiative, will explore the detail on how to set a SBT, and take you through the process of how your organisation can commit.
This Lunch 'n' Learn will be delivered live online. We will contact you with joining instructions at least 24 hours before it starts.
What will I achieve?
By attending this Lunch 'n' Learn you will:
- Understand how your organisation can commit to a Science Based Target, develop it and then submit it
- Look into the step by step process of setting an SBT, with practical guidance for organisations, particularly focused on those with >500 employees
- Explore the role of the supply chain in reporting on SBT's
- Have the opportunity to take part in a Q&A with SBTi
What level is the session and do I need any particular skills?
This Lunch 'n' Learn is Intermediate level and assumes you have a knowledge of what climate change is and why the built environment needs to drive reduction in their carbon emissions. For example, we’d expect you to know what terms like “embodied carbon” and “Scope 1, 2 and 3” mean. It is suitable for anyone interested in understanding how to implement SBT's into their organisation. Particular roles of relevance include designers/ architects, project managers, estates and fleet management, procurement, and sustainability/CSR.
What can I expect from a Lunch 'n' Learn?
Lunch 'n' Learns offer a quick introduction to a topic, or present a case study, 45-60 mins to fit around your busy schedule.
What are the technical requirements?
You will need:
- Internet connection
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook)
- Earphones/headphones/speakers (preferable)
- A tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone to load facilitation tools
Please get in touch with email@example.com if you have any questions.