Industry launch event: People Matter Charter
Tuesday, 21 January 2020, 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
On the 21st January, 2020, the School will publicly launch the “People Matter Charter”.The Charter is a set of eight commitments that any organisation can agree with to future-proof their business. Whilst our industry is trying to tackle people issues, the School and its Partners want to support organisations to deliver best practice people recruitment and management.
Read the Charter here.
Why the Charter?
Our industry is facing a huge number of challenges: everything from modernising practices; dealing with environmental issues like climate change, waste reduction, biodiversity and natural capital impacts; all the way to skills shortages and a decrease in new entrants.
However, one of the most challenging issues faced across the supply chain is how to recruit, develop and hold on to the most precious resource: people. With impending challenges of changing borders, increased instances of exploitation and a decreased interest from newer generations to join the industry, we need to address the challenges head on and reflect the diversity profile of the UK.
Businesses must have a robust and realistic approach to people issues. Demands coming down the supply chain are extensive and varied: ranging from requiring skills and development plans; higher apprenticeship numbers; better equality, diversity and inclusion practices, and an increased focus on human rights and labour standards. These all relate to people, and the Charter aims to lay the foundations to address these demands.
At this event you will:
- Hear from organisations including Danny Sullivan, Fortel, Hercules Construction, VINCI and VGC
- Understand what the Charter is and how you can use it in your organisation
- Speak to organisations who help businesses effectively manage people-related issues
- Network with peer organisations
- Assess your organisation’s own progress against the commitments in the Charter
- Be a part of the movement! Have an opportunity to sign the Charter on the day
Our panellists include:
- Lady Cobham CBE, Director of The 5% Club will be speaking on a panel about skills and development
- Sebastian Bachelier from the Living Wage Foundation speaking about wellbeing
- Samantha Ireland from the Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority (GLAA) speaking on modern slavery
- Ian Howard from Highways England – Wellbeing Panel
- Mark Lomas – HS2 – Speaking on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Neil Mant – Vinci – Speaking on the role of the charter and why they signed
- Amar Sandwahlia – Fortel - Speaking on the role of the charter and why they signed
- Eugene Mehaan – O’Neil & Brenan - Speaking on the role of the charter and why they signed
- Mandy Messenger – Advante - Speaking on the role of the charter and why they signed
- Gareth Morris – Morson Group - Speaking on the role of the charter and why they signed
- Paul Skitt – Flannery Plant Hire - Skills & Development
- Julie Dennis – ACAS - Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
- Eibhlin Flynn – Danny Sullivan Group - Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
- Naheem Ahmed - J Murphy – Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
- Alice Jennison - SCS Railway – Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
- Ciara Pryce - VGC – Modern Slavery
- Peter Ball - Fortel – Modern Slavery
- Abigail Hirshman - ACAS – Wellbeing
- Claire Bradbury - Supply Chain Sustainability School - Wellbeing
You will have a chance to hear from organisations who have already committed to sign the Charter at the public launch event.